Release Date: October 1, 2013
In June 2013, Warner Home video announced their upcoming release of The Wizard of Oz in another boxed set celebrating the film’s 75th anniversary, which was was well over a year away (August 2014). The hook this time was the premiere of the film newly formatted in 3D. The 3D version was released in IMAX and regular theaters on September 20 for one week only.
The new boxed set was released on October 1, 2013, and was a copy of the 2009 release in format (the big box, etc.). The physical extras were different but the digital contents were the same as the 2009 boxed set with the addition of the film in the 3D format and a new documentary, The Making of The Wonderful Wizzard of Oz. The Blu-ray version was another new remaster. Just as with the 2009 version, there were various single disc and multi-disc sets available and retailer exclusives. There were also some events as noted in the press release below. Click here to jump to that press release.
The new extras:
- A new feature-length documentary The Making of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
- 48-Page Hardcover Photo Book
- Deluxe Award Pin Set from the Noble Collection
- Ruby Slippers Sparkler Globe
- Hardcover Journal
- Frameable Map of Oz
- Frameable Photo Card
- In the Amazon Exclusive Edition: A Ruby Slippers Flash Drive
- In the Costco Exclusive Edition: A copy of the soundtrack on CD.